Wednesday, November 14, 2012

new sculpture

Yesterday I was looking up resin figures expecially Paul Shih's work, such as Pandara, which I though was pretty cool.
Pandara resign figure by Paul Shih
After seeing that, I thought that I wanted to try making a resin figure too.
First I drew up what my figure would look like from the front and from the side. I decided to chose a simple shape, since this is my first attempt.

Then I used "Basic Fimo Air", which is a cheap-ish air dry clay, that I bought from the supply shop at Uni. It was the only type of clay that I could buy there, so I took what I could.  I also got some primer and sandpaper, which I'll use after I finish sculpting.


After several hours of trying to get every thing in perportion (the head is kind of big though) I finally make the body and head.  The arms and legs have little bits of wood in them to help them stick to the body.

Due to the fact that the clay is still wet and heavy, I had to hold the head onto the body in this picture.  In comparison, resin is lighter then clay so the head be ok by then.

The next thing that I have to do next is to wait for the clay to dry, then I'll sand the uneven bits and try to make it as smooth as I can.

After that I'll make sure to use a primer to seal it, that was my failure last time.  Because clay is so absorbent, when I make a cast last time, the clay sculpture absorbed some of the moisture from my casting material (it might have been plaster or laytex, I forget) and got stuck in the mould.  So this time i'll pay attention to that.

Anyway that's all for now!!



No comments:

Post a Comment